Friday, February 2, 2018

"Editorial and Contents," Shroud of Turin News, January 2018

Shroud of Turin News - January 2018
© Stephen E. Jones
[1]

[Previous: December 2017, part #1] [Next: February 2018, part #1]

This is the "Editorial and Contents," part #1, of the January 2018 issue of my Shroud of Turin News. I have listed linked news article(s) about the Shroud in January as a service to readers, without necessarily endorsing them.

Contents:
Editorial
"Is the Shroud of Turin Evidence of Jesus' Existence?," The Christian Post, 20 January 2018.


Editorial
Rex Morgan's Shroud News: My scanning and word- processing of the 118 issues of Rex Morgan's Shroud News, provided by Ian Wilson, and emailing them to Barrie Schwortz, for him to convert to PDFs and add to his online Shroud News archive, continued in January up to issue #94, April 1996. [Right (enlarge)], i.e ~80% completed. Issues in that archive are now up to #93, February 1996.

News: Death of Prof. Franco Testore. In January Joe Marino emailed me that he had been informed by a Piero Iacazio that Prof. Franco Testore [Below [2].] had died on 14 January 2018. Joe referred me to this brief Facebook post translated from Italian. The following is my brief obituary of Prof. Testore. Dr Franco A. Testore was a professor at the Polytechnic University of Turin[3], and Director of that university's Textile Department[4]. Testore and [Gabriel Vial[5] were the two textile experts invited to observe the cutting of the Shroud sample for radiocarbon dating on 21 April 1988[6]. They were seeing the Shroud for the first time[7] and Testore (not unreasonably although it has been ridiculed by anti-authenticists Sox and Gove[8]), pointed to the bloodstain of the spear wound in the side and asked: "What's that large brown patch?"[9]. Turin microanalyst Prof. Giovanni Riggi di Numana (1935-2008) and Testore, selected the area of the Shroud to be cut[10]. Testore then weighed the sample cut from the Shroud[11], and also the three subsamples cut and distributed to the three radiocarbon dating laboratories: Arizona, Zurich and Oxford[12].

Posts: In January I blogged 5 new posts (latest uppermost): "Burns #27: Other marks and images: The evidence is overwhelming that the Turin Shroud is authentic!" - 20th; "Other marks and images #26: The evidence is overwhelming that the Turin Shroud is authentic!" - 19th; "12th-11th centuries: Shroud's 1260-1390 radiocarbon date is against the preponderance of the evidence (3): Steps in the development of my radiocarbon dating of the Turin Shroud hacker theory #11" - 14th; "Obituary (2): Dr. Alan Duane Whanger (17 July 1930 - 21 October 2017)" - 2nd and "Editorial and Contents," Shroud of Turin News, December 2017" - 1st.

Updates There were no significant updates in the background of past posts in January. Except that I completed going through my posts of 2017, and saving linked photos in case they become no longer online. So now I have backups of all my posted photos which I can substitute for any such photo which goes offline.

Comments: In January, I received a comment under my post, "Obituary (2): Dr. Alan Duane Whanger (17 July 1930 - 21 October 2017)," from Antero de Frias Moreira and Maria da Glória Barroso of the Centro Português de Sindonologia. I presume she is his wife Maria da Glória Moreira in the photograph [Right[13].] Their comment agreed with my post that Alan Whanger was too subjective in his Points of Congruence identifications, but that he made "interesting findings namely his claims on flower images on the Shroud" and "X-Ray photographs." In my response I agreed and wrote that, "I am going to give Whanger credit for" his discovery of flower images on the Shroud [see my 06Apr13] "when I get to that part." And also, "See my `X-rays #22' post" that "Whanger's `Autoradiography' [which I will also get to eventually in my multi-part obituary of Whanger] was his most important discovery for which he should be remembered, not his `Points of Congruence.'"

I deleted as both "offensive" and "substandard" a comment in January which was a ad hominem personal attack on me, and also it was irrational. But again I won't give details because that is what the commenter would want!

My radiocarbon dating hacker theory: I blogged one post about my radiocarbon dating hacker theory in January, namely "12th-11th centuries: Shroud's 1260-1390 radiocarbon date is against the preponderance of the evidence (3) ... #11."

My book: In January I started on the "Second century" section of "Chapter 6, "History and the Shroud," in the dot-point outline of my book, "The Shroud of Turin: The Burial Sheet of Jesus!" (see 06Jul17). But my progress is too slow and I need to give it a higher priority!

[Right (enlarge): The planned cover of my book.]

Pageviews: At midnight on 31 January 2018, Google Analytics [Below (enlarge)] gave this blog's "Pageviews all time history" as 842,205. This compares with 685,705 (up 156,500 or 22.8%) from the same time in January 2017. It also gave the most viewed posts for the month (highest uppermost) as: "Re: Shroud blood ... types as AB ... aged blood always types as AB, so the significance of this ... is unclear ," Mar 18, 2011 - 130"; "Obituary (2): Dr. Alan Duane Whanger (17 July 1930 - 21 October 2017)" Jan 2, 2018 - 105; "Other marks and images #26: The evidence is overwhelming that the Turin Shroud is authentic!," Jan 19, 2018 - 104; "The Shroud of Turin: 3.6. The man on the Shroud and Jesus were crucified.," Dec 2, 2013 - 81. Again, I cannot explain the continued popularity of my 2011 post, "Re: Shroud blood ... types as AB ... aged blood always types as AB, so the significance of this ... is unclear ." Perhaps it is found by people interested in blood types, not the Shroud?


Notes:
1. This post is copyright. I grant permission to extract or quote from any part of it (but not the whole post), provided the extract or quote includes a reference citing my name, its title, its date, and a hyperlink back to this page. [return]
2. "Conferenza sulla Sacra Sindone di Torino del Professore Franco Testore al Museo d'Arte di Chianciano," YouTube, October 7, 2009. [return]
3. Damon, P.E., et al., 1989, "Radiocarbon Dating of the Shroud of Turin," Nature, Vol. 337, 16 February, pp.611-615, 611; Gove, H.E., 1996, "Relic, Icon or Hoax?: Carbon Dating the Turin Shroud," Institute of Physics Publishing: Bristol UK, p.260; Wilson, I., 1998, "The Blood and the Shroud: New Evidence that the World's Most Sacred Relic is Real," Simon & Schuster: New York NY, p.309; Garza-Valdes, L.A., 1998, "The DNA of God?," Hodder & Stoughton: London, p.77; Rogers, R.N., 2008, "A Chemist's Perspective on the Shroud of Turin," Lulu Press: Raleigh, NC, p.63. [return]
4. Garza-Valdes, 1998, p.77. [return]
5. Gove, 1996, p.260; Rogers, 2008, p.63. [return]
6. Damon, 1989, p.611; Gove, 1996, p.260; Petrosillo, O. & Marinelli, E., 1996, "The Enigma of the Shroud: A Challenge to Science," Scerri, L.J., transl., Publishers Enterprises Group: Malta, p.58; Iannone, J.C., 1998, "The Mystery of the Shroud of Turin: New Scientific Evidence," St Pauls: Staten Island NY, p.162. [return]
7. Petrosillo & Marinelli, 1996, p.60. [return]
8. Sox, H.D., 1988, "The Shroud Unmasked: Uncovering the Greatest Forgery of All Time," Lamp Press: Basingstoke UK, p.133; Gove, 1996, p.260. [return]
9. Petrosillo & Marinelli, 1996, p.60; Wilson, 1998, p.309. [return]
10. Garza-Valdes, 1998, p.179. [return]
11. Garza-Valdes, 1998, p.77. [return]
12. Gove, 1996, p.260. [return]
13. "Antero de Frias Moreira," Holy Shroud Guild, past, present, & future, 2017. [return]

Posted: 2 February 2018. 26 February 2018.

No comments: