Sunday, July 1, 2018

"Editorial and Contents," Shroud of Turin News, June 2018

Shroud of Turin News - June 2018
© Stephen E. Jones
[1]

[Previous: May 2018, part #1] [Next: July 2018, part #1]

This is the "Editorial and Contents," part #1, of the June 2018 issue of my Shroud of Turin News. I have listed below linked news articles about the Shroud in June as a service to readers, without necessarily endorsing any of them.

Contents:
"What did Jesus really look like? Scientists recreate body of Christ from Turin Shroud," Daily Express, June 13, 2018, Sebastian Kettley.
"New study: Christ figure moving in Shroud of Turin," WorldNet Weekly, June 17, 2018.
"Scientists create 3D image of Jesus based on Turin Shroud," Christian Today, 21 June 2018, Jardine Malado.


Editorial
Rex Morgan's Shroud News: My scanning and word-processing of the 118 issues of Rex Morgan's Shroud News, provided by Ian Wilson, and emailing them to Barrie Schwortz, for him to convert to PDFs and add to his online Shroud News archive, continued in June up to issue #103, August 1997 [Right (enlarge)], i.e ~87% completed. Issues in the archive are now up to #100, February 1997.

Media release: In June I continued preparing my previously mentioned media release, outlining my hacker theory, which I will post here when it is completed. I may then email a copy of it to news outlets in anticipation of an upsurge in media interest in the Shroud's radiocarbon dating as the 30th anniversary of the announcement on 13 October 1988 [see 23Jul15] that the Shroud's radiocarbon date was "1260-1390" draws near.

Posts: In June I blogged 6 new posts (latest uppermost): "6 May 1988: On this day 30 years ago in the radiocarbon dating of the Turin Shroud," - 23rd; "Date index 2007: The Shroud of Turin blog," - 22nd "`I would like to point out an important mistranslation of a French expression in your post'," - 20th; "Main date index: The Shroud of Turin blog," - 20th; "Obituary (4): Dr. Alan Duane Whanger (17 July 1930 - 21 October 2017)," - 5th; and "Editorial and Contents," Shroud of Turin News, May 2018," - 3rd.

Updates There were no significant updates in the background of past posts in June.

Comments: In June there were no comments! Lest that be thought to be a problem, I have in the past posted approvingly [05Jan16], the following 2004 quote (with its older terminology "Message Boards" (= discussion groups) and Weblogs (= blogs):

"What are the Differences Between Message Boards and Weblogs? Posted by: leelefever on August 23, 2004... Responses Weblogs and Message Boards both allow for responses from the community- new topics can be responded-to by others. Weblog topics have comments and message board topics have replies. This subtle difference in syntax reveals a difference in the roles. The word comment for weblogs implies that the author does not need further participation to reach a goal - comment if you want. Reply, on the other hand, implies that participation is explicitly requested by the poster. A discussion is not a discussion without a reply." (my emphasis)
That is, this my blog is not a discussion group and while I allow comments, I restrict them to "normally ... only one comment per individual under each one of my posts" so that replying to comments does not take up too much of my scarce time for blogging.

My radiocarbon dating hacker theory: As can be seen above, I did not blog specifically about my hacker theory in June. However, my "6 May 1988: On this day 30 years ago in the radiocarbon dating of the Turin Shroud" post made extensive mentions of it, too many to quote here.

My book: In June, having `gone back to the drawing board' [see last month] I am again making good progress, albeit dividing my away time between my book and my media release (above).

Pageviews: At midnight on 30 June 2018, Google Analytics [Below (enlarge)] gave this blog's "Pageviews all time history" as 913,093. This compares with 764,259 (up 148,834 or 19.5%) from the same time in June 2017. It also gave the most viewed posts for the month (highest uppermost) as: "Re: Shroud blood ... types as AB ... aged blood always types as AB, so the significance of this ... is unclear," Mar 18, 2011 - 83; "The Letter from Alexius Comnenus": My response to Dan Porter," May 8, 2014 - 82; "The Shroud of Turin: 3.5. The man on the Shroud and Jesus were crowned with thorns," Sep 8, 2013 - 74; "The Shroud of Turin: 3.6. The man on the Shroud and Jesus were crucified," Dec 2, 2013 - 64; and "Chronology of the Turin Shroud: Twelfth century," Sep 23, 2017 - 59.

The pageviews for these most viewed posts are lower than usual, which, since pageviews for the month were 12,437, presumably means that there was a lot of different past posts of mine read in June. I still cannot explain why the "Re: Shroud blood ... types as AB ..." is yet again among the most viewed posts. It is also pleasing to see my "... 3.5. The man on the Shroud and Jesus were crowned with thorns" and "... 3.6. The man on the Shroud and Jesus were crucified" being among the highest read, because I assume the readers would be Bible-believing Christians, who might not have been aware of how closely the Shroud matches the Gospels description of Jesus' suffering and death. The high pageviews of "The Letter from Alexius Comnenus ..." may be due to a Guardian article in May, "10 great Greek islands: readers’ travel tips," which mentions "Byzantine emperor Alexius Comnenus I."

Notes:
1. This post is copyright. I grant permission to extract or quote from any part of it (but not the whole post), provided the extract or quote includes a reference citing my name, its title, its date, and a hyperlink back to this page. [return]

Posted: 1 July 2018. Updated: 4 August 2018.

No comments: