Thursday, April 11, 2019

"News and Editorial," Shroud of Turin News, March 2019

Shroud of Turin News - March 2019
© Stephen E. Jones
[1]

[Previous: February 2019, part #1] [Next: April 2019, part #1]

This is the March 2019 issue of my Shroud of Turin News. I have listed below linked news article(s) about the Shroud in March as a service to readers, without necessarily endorsing any of them.


From Joe Marino:

[Left: "News Just In"]

"Dear Researchers, A Catholic News Agency story just came out pertaining to the 1978 photos taken by the late Vern Miller of STURP. See: https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/scientific-photos-of-shroud-of-turin-published-80628. The link to the site (shroudphotos.com), published by former STURP member Tom D'Muhala and Dr. Gil Lavoie, M.D., is hot linked in the article. Regards, Joe"


News:
• "An unexpected encounter with the Shroud of Turin," Catholic Vancouver, March 13, 2019, Agnieszka Ruck:

"When Deacon Pete Schumacher began working in image

[Right (enlarge): Pete Schumacher with a VP-8 image analyzing machine at his Shroud of Turin museum in Alamagordo, N.M.]

processing and remote sensing ... In 1972, Schum-acher was broke and not practising his faith when he got a job manufacturing the VP-8 Image Analyzer, a machine used by ... researchers to study images. Four years later ... he was asked to install the machine for Air Force Academy professors Eric Jumper and John Jackson. He travelled to Jumper's home and set up the machine, then the men slipped Schumacher an unknown photo and asked him to show them how the machine worked. Without a clue as to what the odd-looking photo was, Schumacher placed it on the machine ... "the next thing I knew, I was looking at a 3D image of a person." The photo Jumper and Jackson had slipped him was of the Shroud of Turin ... The machine ... had illuminated the face of a crucified man. ... said Schumacher. The machine "simply doesn't do that with a photograph." ... "I wasn't very religious at the time, and I didn't know what the Shroud of Turin was," he said. ... Then in 1978, a team of scientists (including Jumper) launched the Shroud of Turin Research Project and flew to Turin, Italy, for an intense, in-depth study of the linen itself. ... Releasing their findings in a 1981 report, the scientists said although they couldn't work out how an image appeared on the cloth, it is "a real human form of a scourged, crucified man. It is not the product of an artist." Intrigued by the report's findings, Schumacher felt a growing desire to learn more about that crucified man he first met on his VP-8. He eventually came to a firm belief that the Shroud of Turin does reveal the face of Jesus, and in the process, his faith was so strengthened that he was ordained a Catholic deacon in 2009."

Editorial
Posts: In March I blogged 5 new posts (latest uppermost): "Acts of Thaddeus: Turin Shroud Encyclopedia," - 28th; "`wrong is the radiocarbon dating of Shroud of Turin in the consequence of biological isotopfractionation'," - 20th; "acheiropoietos: Turin Shroud Encyclopedia," - 13th; "`News and Editorial,' Shroud of Turin News, February 2019" - 10th; "Accetta, August: Turin Shroud Encyclopedia," - 7th.

Comments: In March I received the following comments:

• Under my "New tests by Prof. Giulio Fanti show the Shroud of Turin could date from the time of Christ," post, a would-be-commenter tried to post a "comment in 2 halves." But I deleted those comments, according to my policy, which:

"As I have stated before [e.g. 09Dec17], the comments area on this MY blog is for commenting on MY posts. It is NOT a vehicle for others to post THEIR material on the Shroud, without reference to my post their comment is under. If I allowed that, commenters could turn MY blog into THEIR blog!"
• An anonymous comment under my, "`News and Editorial,' Shroud of Turin News, February 2019" that Dan Porter's blog had re-opened. I responded that I was not surprised. I looked at Porter's new posts and "it is still the old anti-authenticity masquerading as `open minded' scepticism." So,"I will ignore Porter's blog." I reiterated my "policy of this blog, that posting comments about Porter's blog here is off-topic and such comments will ... not appear."• I deleted an anonymous comment under my, "`News and Editorial,' Shroud of Turin News, February 2019," which was an ad hominem personal attack on me. I repeat what I wrote recently [14Feb19] about another anti-authenticist personal attack on me:
"I deleted an anti-authenticist mocking comment in January. If anti-authenticists knew deep down that they had truth on their side, their comments would reflect a polite serenity. But instead their nasty `body language' tells me that deep down they fear they are wrong!" [which they are!]
Updates In March, from memory, there were no significant updates in the background of my past posts.

Radiocarbon dating of the Shroud. In March I posted as "Breaking News" in my "`wrong is the radiocarbon dating of Shroud of Turin in the consequence of biological isotopfractionation'," post (now removed from there), from Joe Marino, the following has just been published [Left: "Breaking News & Sports - Home - Facebook"] online in Archaeometry: "RADIOCARBON DATING OF THE TURIN SHROUD: NEW EVIDENCE FROM RAW DATA * T. CASABIANCA† Ajaccio 20000, France E. MARINELLI Collegamento pro Sindone, Rome, Italy G. PERNAGALLO Department of Economics and Business, University of Catania, Corso Italia 55, 95129 Catania CT, Italy and B. TORRISI Department of Economics and Business, University of Catania, Corso Italia 55, 95129 Catania CT, Italy

Abstract: In 1988, three laboratories performed a radiocarbon analysis of the Turin Shroud. The results, which were centralized by the British Museum and published in Nature in 1989, provided ‘conclusive evidence’ of the medieval origin of the artefact. However, the raw data were never released by the institutions. In 2017, in response to a legal request, all raw data kept by the British Museum were made accessible. A statistical analysis of the Nature article and the raw data strongly suggests that homogeneity is lacking in the data and that the procedure should be reconsidered."
I will blog on this after this post [see 29May19].

My book: [see 10Mar19 and links]. In March I continued writing Chapter 2, "A linen sheet," of my book, "The Shroud of Turin: The Burial Sheet of Jesus!" I became bogged

[Right (enlarge): The planned cover of my book.]

down on the sidestrip, which I thought I knew all about!


Pageviews: At midnight on 1 April 2019 (because my computer was undergoing repairs on 31 March), Google Analytics [Below (enlarge)] gave this blog's "Pageviews all time history" as 1,036,720. This compares with 871,539 at the same time in March 2018

(albeit 1 day less). That is 165,183 pageviews over the past 12 months (and 1 day), or an average of 165,183/366 = ~451 pageviews per day.

Google Analytics also gave the most viewed posts for the month (highest uppermost) as: "Shroud name index `J'," Apr 1, 2008 - 132; "Re: Shroud blood ... types as AB ... aged blood always types as AB, so the significance of this ... is unclear," Mar 18, 2011 - 120; "`wrong is the radiocarbon dating of Shroud of Turin in the consequence of biological isotopfractionation'," Mar 20, 2019 - 63; "Accetta, August: Turin Shroud Encyclopedia," Mar 7, 2019 - 63; "Shroud of Turin News, December 2015," Jan 5, 2016 - 54.

Notes:
1. This post is copyright. I grant permission to extract or quote from any part of it (but not the whole post), provided the extract or quote includes a reference citing my name, its title, its date, and a hyperlink back to this page. [return]

Posted: 11 April 2019. Updated: 30 May 2019.

No comments: