Tuesday, March 3, 2020

"News and Editorial," Shroud of Turin News, January 2020

Shroud of Turin News - January 2020
© Stephen E. Jones
[1]

[Previous: December 2019, part #1] [Next: February 2020, part #1]

This is the January 2020 issue of my Shroud of Turin News. I have listed below linked news article(s) about the Shroud in January as a service to readers, without necessarily endorsing any of them. My comments (if any) are bold in square brackets. See the December 2019 issue on, "I have decided to trial a cut-down version with less Editorial."


News:
• There were no Shroud news articles worth mentioning, that I am aware of, in January 2020. So I have provided a link to a paper listed on Shroud.com's January 21, 2020 update: Walsh, B. & Schwalbe, L., 2020, "An instructive inter-laboratory comparison: The 1988 radiocarbon dating of the Shroud of Turin," Journal of Archaeological Science: Reports, Vol. 29, February:

"Abstract We review the statistical method cited in the report of the radiocarbon dating of the Shroud of Turin. Following strict analytical protocol, we find the Shroud data to be heterogeneous, while data from three control samples show no heterogeneity. We consider two potential sources for the Shroud data heterogeneity. The first, an approximate linear dependence of the dates on the original sample locations suggests a variation in the carbon isotopic composition. The second, differences in the cleaning protocols of the three laboratories may have given rise to differences in residual contamination. We suggest experiments to test the two competing hypotheses."
The paper includes a helpful reconstructed diagram of the radiocarbon dating's Shroud sample (enlarge):

Editorial
Posts: In January I blogged only 1 new post:
"Antioch: Turin Shroud Encyclopedia" - 1st, which unexpectedly turned out to be one of my longest posts, taking up all of January and almost half of February!

Pageviews: At midnight on 31 January 2020, Google Analytics [Below (enlarge)] gave this blog's "Pageviews all time history" as 1,141,168:

This compares with 1,011,448 at the same time in January 2019. That is 129,720 pageviews over the 12 months, or an average of ~355 pageviews per day.

Google Analytics also gave the most viewed posts for January (highest uppermost) as: "John P. Jackson, `An Unconventional Hypothesis to Explain all Image Characteristics Found on the Shroud Image' (1991)," Jan 18, 2012 - 135; "Medieval photography: Nicholas Allen," Aug 7, 2016 - 114; "The Shroud of Turin: 2.6. The other marks (2): Poker holes," Mar 6, 2013 - 95; "Antioch: Turin Shroud Encyclopedia," Jan 1, 2020 - 79; "Off-topic: Norton Antivirus froze my computer so I switched to AVG Free," Aug 3, 2007 - 69.

I have no idea why my off-topic 2007 post about Norton Antivirus freezing my computer, so I switched to AVG Free, received 79 hits!

Notes:
1. This post is copyright. I grant permission to extract or quote from any part of it (but not the whole post), provided the extract or quote includes a reference citing my name, its title, its date, and a hyperlink back to this page. [return]

Posted: 3 March 2020. Updated: 14 April 2020.

No comments: